Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

I look for any excuse to barbecue.   With my family visiting from out of town, Memorial Day weekend gave me an opportunity to pull out the grille.  I initially thought about making a grilled lamb flatbread, but my wife and brother had a craving for ribs.  To kick up my barbecued rib recipe, I decided to make an Asian Barbecue sauce using a base of Hoisin sauce and ketchup.  To the hoisin and ketchup base, I added plum sauce, rice wine vinegar, fresh ginger, and a little honey.   It had a really nice sweet, sour, and spice balance.

I used baby back ribs that I dry rubbed generously with a combination of brown sugar, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder, and black pepper.  I cooked the ribs using indirect heat with a combination of charcoal and mesquite wood chips.  The ribs had a great smoky flavor.  I basted them with the barbecue sauce just before I pulled them from the grille, then again before they were served. They came out pretty darn good!  Below are some pictures. 






























No comments:

Post a Comment